Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Day Seventeen- Bore Ring

Day 17- (79 Miles) Wednesday, July 4, 2007- Dubois, WY to Riverton, WY

I am writing this in my room in Riverton, WY in the middle of a horrendous thunderstorm, Internet is down, so I’ll write it in Word and try to paste it later.

On the anniversary of our great country’s statement of independence, we stuck to the plan and rolled down the road (literally) through first a scenic canyon section and the through a hideously boring stretch of high, scrub desert and arrived in Riverton. Riverton is a dreadful burg. The town was shut downc ompletely(except for fast food and Wal Mart) in observance of the Fourth. Ever heard of that before? Me neither.

Following a festive group takeover of a local breakfast joint (Cowboy CafĂ©?) we ambled on outta town (that’s cowboy talk, boys and girls). The route was a good day for the directionally challenged- turn right out of motel, go east on Hwy 26 for 80 miles, turn left into motel. I get it- I really get it.

First 25 miles or so were huge scenically speaking. Like scenes from a western movie. Then, it all turned to dry, rolling, scrubby high desert. Every mile looked exactly like the last mile. The temperature rose steadily, til we were looking at low 90’s, zero humidity and a slight headwind. The Millers, Gary, Lenny and I kept a solid 18 MPH pace going, taking advantage of the generally downhill topo of today’s route.



Thought I'd throw in a couple pics of Will, Kelly and Jennifer pushing that big ole' triple rig down the road. God bless you guys, that looks like work to me.


We hit town in time for lunch and then good, relaxed pace around the hotel as I tended to the details of cleaning up and preparing for what could be a tough day tomorrow (120 miles- maybe into a headwind)

I’d just love to continue trying to amuse you people, but I’m going to go to bed- wake up’s at 4:00AM tomorrow.